Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Budgeting for Baby

OK, I was set to adopt, last year. But I didn't realize it costs so much to adopt. Also, my partner and I decided to just try and have our own.

Now, over a year later, here we are, barely 7 weeks, but oh so happy. To my great surprise, I am thinking about money. I thought I'd be preoccupied with thoughts about the classes I'm taking and how to rush my degree into existence. But nope, I'm thinking about money and how to save money. Save money and have kids? What?

So the first thing I decided was to stay where I live now, because it's pretty great actually. The second thing I'm thinking of cutting out unnecessary expenses. After I pay for this speeding ticket I got last month, I'll try and limit my use of the car to necessity. But it isn't easy being green. It's even less easy trying to imagine this life, here, alone. My sister and good friend lives on the opposite coast. But I have a few friends here, and fortunately they are mature, and all people can be helpful when truly in need. Like in the snowstorm, when some neighbor's father who was visiting from North Carolina loaned me his snow shovel. Wow, talk about nice. And this Spanish neighbor who helped my sister and I dig our car out of the snow, talk about good neighbors!

So you tell me why is it so easy to get sidetracked then from talking about money? Well, simple, I'm so grateful right now for this little blessing, that I tend to get all teary eyed over the smallest things.

One of the concerns I have is that I'll be going from Active Duty military to single mom at the same time. My partner is still active for a few more months, and until he comes to live with us, I'll be concerned about finances. Which I shouldn't be, but you see, I don't like to ask him for money. I've never really been dependent upon a man for my finances so it's hard to imagine this let alone practice that. But maybe I should consider it, ie. he pays an agreed amount every month, and then I have that one less concern.

I do have the option to continue with a GI Bill and go to school full time while getting my rent paid, and I will have a nice sum saved up as well. But that is something I don't want to touch if I don't have to; I've spent too much of my life without money that when I have it, I like to keep it saved. Plus, I don't believe a child who has every possession can be happy. It's more important to show children love, and to me the biggest important event of all is the child's education. I want my kid to be well-educated and cosmopolitan. Other than that I am not concerned with his daily needs being met, and also he must learn to pray and give thanks for what he has received. Our greatest gift is every the mercy of God, that we are alive (and healthy, etc.).

What has this to do with money?

OK.

Money. Right.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-real-cost-of-raising-a-baby_1744454.bc

unexpected expenses:
1. new car
2. new items for baby
3. surprise bills
4. new house to fit baby in house
5. new furniture for baby
6. formula expense when you expected to breast feed
7. medical insurance

cross off #2s 1, 2, 4, 5 and the rest we can approach.

To do:
1. Ask insurance about maternity and well-child benefits
2. check on state health insurance
3. health savings account which are tax-free from bank
4. do a financial planning session with the consultant (free)
5. No takeout!
6. Breast pump http://www.babycenter.com/0_choosing-a-breast-pump_429.bc
7. childcare
8. diapers (use cloth, buy washing machine, special soap, and small reusable items)
9. car seat http://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat-safety-how-to-choose-and-use-a-car-seat_399.bc
10. make your own baby food (organic)
11. baby proofing your house (outlet cover, gates, attach dressers to wall)
12. make a new will, life insurance...


http://www.babycenter.com/0_staying-at-home-can-you-afford-it_6026.bc?page=3

No comments:

Post a Comment